Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Why do I run?

I have been thinking about this for a while.   Below are some answers...

  Running a marathon is not about...

- Winning (that's for Kenyans or Ethiopians - I race against myself)
- The race (only 2 days/year)
- A time (And... So...)
- Finishing (Been there done that)
- The medal (How often do I look at my medals? Not very often!)

  Marathon running is about the journey...

The journey where:

- I am smiling drenched, chaffed, bloody after a 20 miler in a hot and humid day. That odd sense of satisfaction.
- I feel that urge to run first thing in the morning.
- I definitively conclude that I am insane to be running in a 85 degree weather/90% humidity, but run anyway.
- I find myself marveling at the beauty of nature...

  Running is about living...

It's about feeling alive...

No comments:

Post a Comment