Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Running 60 mile per week!

I completed another week of hard training in preparation for the Traverse City Marathon. I had three quality runs last week, including a 12 mile marathon pace run, and 4 easy runs for a total of 59 miles (95 kms). I feel very strong but still need to work on developing more speed. I am logging tons of miles and thus am being very careful about the speed and effort that I put into each of my runs.

Here is a quick synthesis of my workouts:

Monday (QW 1): Speed intervals. 15 minutes warm-up, 6x800 mts. (3:05, 3:03, 3:03, 3:04, 3:01, 2:55), 2.5 miles cool down. I was hesitant about doing this workout. I worked hard to complete the long run on Saturday and didn’t know if I had enough energy for this session. To my surprise, it turned out to be a great workout. I usually struggle with the fast 800’s but not this time. 8 miles total.

Tuesday: 9 easy miles to recover

Wednesday: 9 miles, the first half was fast (under 8 min/mile) but managed to stay in the recovery zone for the second half of the run. Again, running with my friends was not the smartest thing to do but I enjoyed it.

Thursday (QW 2): ok, I really struggled in my long tempo run today. I did 12 mins warm-up, 2x15 mins tempo (3 mins recovery), 1x10 mins tempo and 10 mins cool down. I didn’t feel goo, the hot weather appeared and I really, really struggled… By the end of this run, I was glad it was over!!! I recovered with an ice-cold bath and some chocolate milk…

Friday: Easy 7.5 miles

Saturday (QW 3): My first marathon simulation… 12 miles @ 7:25, 1.5 miles cool down. I was slower than expected, the course (a bit hilly) didn’t help. Well, the run is done and I recovered pretty fast!

Sunday: 5 miles, very easy (9 min/mile)… I just wanted to get my legs moving after the demanding run the previous day.

Overall, the week was good. I am not happy with my speed but need to be careful as the mileage increases… My legs feel great! This week is my first peak at 62-64 miles. A completely new territory for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment