Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Looking good

I love the days when my legs move without any problem! I have loved my runs this week. After an average week last week, I decided to start this week with three easy runs (Mo, Tu, and We)… that decision has paid off. Besides my training plan, I have also changed my training philosophy a bit, listening to my body more carefully. I run hard when I have to log a quality run and rest when I have to rest even if I feel great. Although it is still early to say if my new strategies will result in a new marathon PR, I am feeling stronger and healthier. I know that good things will follow if I stay healthy. This week’s training has been as follows:

Tu: Easy run, 9 miles (8:16/mile). It was a great running day: temperature in the high 70s, decent humidity levels, lots of sunshine, etc… My legs were still a bit tired from the MP run last Saturday but after 3 miles they were just smoothly hitting the road. I started slow and progressively picked the pace up in the last three miles (7:56 min/mile avg). I didn’t want to stop but I had to do it.

We: 6 miles, easy (8:25). Wow! It was windy, rainy and gray outside. The first 5 miles weren’t that bad. But in the 6th mile, it was pouring!! So I decided to call it quits and get ready for a very difficult workout tomorrow. I went to the gym and did some strength training. I am not doing as much strength training as in the previous months. The runs are longer and I don’t want to deplete all my energies in the gym.

Th: What a day!!! My plan called for a 2x20 mins tempo and I was a bit skeptical about my chances to perform well. I did the first tempo by myself. I wanted to play safe and ran a comfortable pace of 6:30 per mile. I then recovered for 10 mins and joined Scott and Simeon who were also doing a tempo run. They talked about doing it at 6:25 and I didn’t really know if I was going to survive at that pace. I was pleasantly surprised because my legs just kept moving very smoothly, no pain, no extra-effort! I just kept feeling better and better as the second tempo progressed. I actually wanted to pick the pace up in the last ¼ mile but Simeon said: nice and easy, Sergio… nice and easy. I heard the message and maintained the 6:25 pace. Running with other people just makes things so much easier. 10 mins cool down. I am a bit tired… I guess it’s normal after this workout. Tomorrow: recovery run… nice and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment