Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Race week!

It’s race week! After enduring a very cold winter and some very hot and humid days, I am ready to run in Traverse City this Saturday. I really can’t believe that the marathon in is in 4 more days! I have reduced my weekly mileage and my body and mind are feeling it. My body is in better shape, well rested and recovering from the most difficult training regime that I have ever done. My mind is ready to race, knowing that I have done everything I could to endure the 26.2 miles and finish in style. Last week was not easy at all, my legs were very tired and still adapting to the lower miles. I had a couple of short marathon pace runs and it was very difficult to get into my ideal pace. My muscles were very tight and achy. So I decided to get a massage on Friday. The massage really released the tension from my muscles and they are feeling very relaxed. I am feeling much better. I did a short marathon pace run yesterday and I felt great, despite the hot and humid weather.

Last week I only ran 41 miles, the shortest in a long, long time. The week ended with a 5.5 mile run on Thursday, a 3 mile easy run on Friday and a 10 mile run on Saturday (3 miles easy, 5 miles @ marathon pace, 2 miles very easy). I didn’t feel very good on Saturday. The weather was hot and humid and the massage got my muscles tired. Running those 5 miles at marathon pace was difficult. After that, I decided to do 2 very easy miles ( well into the 10’s). I wanted to enjoy the last miles as much as possible. I don’t know how I will run this Saturday, but I am very happy with my effort in the last 4 months. I notice the difference. I have never felt this great before a marathon and I hope to have a good day in Traverse City. The wait is not easy, it’s killing me!

Yesterday (Monday 24th), I ran 7 miles (2 easy, 3 @ marathon pace, 2 easy). It also was hot and humid. I am not a fast runner in humid weather. But this time my legs felt great. I am going to do a very easy run today. Then 4x600 tomorrow, off Thursday and 2 very easy miles in TC on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment