Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

3 1/2 weeks til 10/10/10

Ok, it is almost time to start packing for Chicago!  The training this time has not been very smooth but I still believe in my chances of running a good marathon on 10/10/10.  I endured an incredibly hot and summer weather, a cold, and some other minor injuries.  There is very little I can do from now until 10/10/10 to imporve my shape.  I can, however, be smart enought as to minimize my chances of getting injured and/or sick.  I have been training intensely for almost 18 months.  I look forward to taking some days off after Chicago and recover 100% to start my preparation toward Boston.

My training has been solid.  If I remain injury free and the weather is nice, I will go fast.  The main objective of this season was to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I did it already.  My main objective in Chicago is to go as fast as possible and to enjoy as much as possible. When you train to run a BQ time, you tend to forget why you love running so much. The stress and intensiy associated with the training schedule do not allow you to enjoy and to be thankful for the many pleasures that running brings into your life. You become a prisioner of the clock. Running in Boston in one of the best accomplishments in your running life but it cannot be the last one. 

I planned my season to run a BQ time in Chicago. But my training went so well that I qualified for Boston 5 months before. So I had to adjust my goals and training. I had to regroup and gain the pleasure for running again.  I also had to recover from a very demanding training regime and a very difficult race in Traverse City.  I don't have to run a specific time in Chicago, I just want to run fast.  I want to get to mile 19 feeling strong. In my experience, the ability to pace yourself well in the first 9-10 miles of the marathon is what separates an average from a good marathon runner. It is that (and, of course, a good training regime) what gives you the energy to be phically and mentally able to run strong in the last 7-8 miles of the race. This is what drives my training now. I think I have trained to do this in Chicago.

I have had 2 weeks of solid training.  Last Saturday, I went to Winona Lake where I ran a half marathon. I felt strong all the way. The race lacked organization but I still managed to put together a very solid run that will certainly help in 3 weeks. I did the last long tempo session yesterday. A 2x3 mile + 30 easy minutes. My legs felt ok, not completely fresh but this is normal after doing a hard session on Saturday.

I have 2 easy runs on Th and Fr and a monstruos 21 miler on Sat with the 3 final miles @ marathon pace.  I will try to enjoy it!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment