Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Loose as a goose

The days leading to any big race are intense. There is nothing one can do to improve his/her overall shape, but these days are a great opportunity to prepare mentally for the big challenge that lies ahead.  These days, I find myself gaining confidence by the hour. Yet I know that a 26 mile race cannot define my progression in the past 18 months. Running is a fundamental part of my life since 25 years ago. But I never took running seriously until after I failed in the 2008 Chicago Marathon. I trained a lot for that race but I my workouts lacked intensity as they did before. No surprise, my legs felt fine until mile 21. But they couldn't finish the race strong. I went to Chicago with the idea of runninf a sub 4 hour marathon and, once again, I failed. The struggle of the last 4-5 miles changed my running life substantially. I understood that liking running was not enough to complete 26 miles in style. I understood that I needed to change my training and my mentality if I wanted to be more than an average runner. Two years later, I am a completely different runner. Indeed I am not a marathon runner anymore, I am Boston Qualifier. Those are two very different things. Two years after my collapse in China Town, I am thinking about running a sub 3:15 marathon. I trained hard and the weather forecest is decent. As long as humidity does not show up, I am going to be fine. I will try to go fast but I also want to enjoy the course and the crowd.

I did a very good workout today. I can easily go from 8 min/mile to 7 min/mile and that gives me confidence. I also had a massage this afternoon. The therapist didn't find anything bad in my legs so am good to go. I am off tomorrow. It's now time to eat potatoes and steak... pure protein!  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment