Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Lessons from Chicago

One of the reasons I love running, particularly marathon running, is because it allows me to have a different experience every time I step to the start line. I didn’t have my best performance in Chicago yesterday but I learned a lot in the race.  The conditions for marathon running were not ideal, but am not going to blame the weather for my results. After all, the conditions in Traverse City were very similar to those in Chicago yesterday and I still managed to put together a very solid run. To be honest, I knew that my body was not the same as it was last May. My mind, probably, was also a bit weaker. I ran a very solid first half yesterday. I felt strong and thought I had enough to run a good time. But I began to slow down after the 30k mark. I noticed that I was slowing down and that every mile was more and more difficult to run under a 7:30 minute pace. I ran the worst last 5 k partial since Zurich in 2009.

Yes, running in the heat definitely affected my performance. But the reality is that the majority of my tempo and long runs for this marathon were slower than in my previous training cycle. My time yesterday is not a coincidence. It reflects how I trained during the summer. I think the main problem is that I didn’t rest enough after running in Traverse City. The reality is that my body needed a longer break after qualifying for Boston.  The main lesson from yesterday's race is that I need to fully recover in between my marathons if I want to run solid races every time I step to the line. In addition, I learned  that my heart is bigger than what I thought it was. The last few miles of yesterday’s race were a real struggle, but I battled and finish the race in good spirits. Two years ago, I just gave up and started walking when my legs cramped up. Yesterday, I kept pushing thinking that it was the end of a very productive 18 months of training. I slowed down, but I kept fighting. This confirms that I am a different runner and that a breakthrough performance is around the corner.  

I am not going to lie, after I finish the Chicago marathon yesterday, I questioned myself whether I am cut out to be a marathon runner several times. I was a mixed bag of emotions, to say the least. I lacked a spark in the last 2-3 miles of the marathon and I was not happy with that. But the answer to that question is: YES, I am cut out to be a marathon runner. I love marathon running because I can take my mind and body to places I have never imagined I could. Every marathon is different and I never know how my body and mind are going to respond that day. I love it because I enjoy travelling to different cities and countries, and meeting fellow runners from all over the world. I love it because my training allows me to disconnect myself from the world for a several minutes every day. It allows me to challenge myself day in and day out.  I am not going to stop here. Rather, I am going to make a few adjustments to my training plan and seek advice from more experienced runners. I believe that am on the brink of running an outstanding marathon and a less than ideal race is not going to stop me from doing that. I am going to recover fully from Chicago and I am going to come back stronger than ever.  Believe me, if I can run a 3:22 in a deadly hot weather, I can run a sub 3:10 marathon in ideal conditions!

More thoughts to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment