Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Stamina Phase (2nd week): 53 miles

I am entering the third week of specific training.  Although my right knee is still sore (and bothering me!), I am feeling good overall.  Training last week wasn't easy. I did three hard workouts and 4 easy runs. 53 miles total. In the middle of the week, I noticed that my body was tired and my legs lacked a spark.  Running in hot and humid conditions takes a toll on your body as it dehydrates easily.  In those conditions you need to be very careful about your diet and hydration.  I certainly was not being careful.  after monitoring my weight before and after my runs, I noticed that I was losing 4-6 punds during each run.  I thus decided to monitor what my eating and drinking habits.  I also decided to take vitamins (for the first time in my running life!) because I was feeling very weak after each run, and recovery was taking longer than usual. These changes are paying off so far. I feel muche better and I am able to finish my workouts stronger.  My next marathon is in less than 10 weeks, and I will be strong and ready to run when the day comes.

This is the third week of stamina training.  I ran a solid steady-state 8 miler yesterday.  I felt like a distance runner for the first time in several weeks. I was strong and fast.  I hope I can feel like that in Berlin.  The plan for the rest of this week includes easy runs on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday; a tempo run on Wednesday; and a marathon pace 12 miler on Friday.  My build-up is good so far, and I hope to keep getting better every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment