Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Taperland

I just did the last workout of 13+ miles before the Berlin Marathon.  It was a combination of easy running and marathon pace tempo.  The sticky weather is back, but I felt very good.  I also did a 17 miler on Saturday, 10 miles were at 7:15 or faster.  The last miles consisted of easy running, I felt really strong for the first time in this training cycle.  These two workouts are the longest tune-up runs in my program.  The work is done and it is now time to relax, rest and get ready for the big day in Germany.

I had a very hard time since my last blog entry.  An injury on my right leg kept me worried about my participation in Berlin for more than two weeks. Luckily, my leg is feeling much better and I only missed a couple of key workouts, including a 20 miler.  But experience tells me that missing one workout is not going to derail my performance on marathon day.  It is better to rest and get better than to limp for 20 miles in the heat and humidity of New Orleans.  I indeed never rested completely as I substituted my 20 miler with a 2:30 hr. workout in the swimming pool (aqua running).  I complemented these workouts with therapy and lots of stretching.  As of today, my right leg is almost pain-free and the motion is substantially better.  I think I will be in great shape on September 25.

I would love to have a great race in Berlin.  I did everything I could to prepare for the race.  The homework is done and the waiting game has begun...

No comments:

Post a Comment