Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

New Orleans Half Marathon: Here I come!


The base training is going as planned.  I have put together two weeks of very good runs.   I capped last week  off with two easy runs (5.5 and 6.5 miles) and a long run of 13 miles.  So I ran a total of 45 miles, which is the highest mileage in more than 3 months.  

I did a 7 miler (progressive) yesterday and am planning to do 6 easy miles this pm so that I get ready for a tempo run tomorrow.  I keep running my easy runs at 7:45-8:00 min/mile pace.  I feel good and will hopefully keep feeling like this in the months to come.  I just didn’t have this feeling in a long time. I rested, I am healthy and can run faster as a consequence. 

I often think about my race in Chicago.  It was a hard one because my body was really tired.  I was 100% mentally and kept pushing my body on race day and during the training, but it just didn’t respond as expected because it was exhausted.  I am obsessed with running so taking the decision to not training hard on November and December was not an easy one.  But it was the right one!  I have a new pop and feel good and excited about my daily runs.  I am doing strength training like never before. I also feel very excited about finding out  how fast I can run this year.  The question is not whether I am going to finish a marathon or not. The question is: how fast am I going to run? 

I guess we will start finding that out very soon as I am likely to run in the New Orleans half marathon on February 13. It is still very early in the season and I don’t expect to run a PR in this race…Indeed, a PR can be ruled out right today because my overall shape is far from where it will be in 2-3 months. But I can guarantee that I’m going to go as fast as possible.  We just need to see how fast I can run 13.1 miles when I’m at 40-50% of my ideal running shape.  More blogging soon…

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment