Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Vermont marathon and beyond

My training in the weeks that follow Boston was decent.  Although I didn't do speed workouts and/or runs longer than 14 miles, I managed to do 4 consistent weeks of training... . In a way, the decision to DNF in Boston aimed at giving me a chance to complete a decent race before the end of the spring.  Three days before the Vermont City marathon I decided to run the race and see where my body is. 

So I packed my bags and drove to Burlington, VT on Memorial day weekend.  This time I went to a race with only one expectation:  having an enjoyable, decent run.  I had no expectation about my time because my training has been very inconsistent since October. I had some good 10-12 mile workouts in the weeks that followed Boston, but I knew I didn't have the stamina to go at that speed for 26 miles.  Honestly, the only thought that crossed my mind was to erase the disaster of Berlin. I was in much better shape back on September, I just didn't run a smart race.  Anything faster than the 3:33.30 I ran in Berlin was good enough this time. 

The race started slow because I got trapped in the middle of the corral.  I couldn't move at all... not surprisingly I opened with a 7:56 mile.  Extremely slow to open a race.  The next 10-12 miles were much better. As soon as I found space and got into my pace I posted several miles in the 7:20s and 7:30s, but the hilly course and the lack of consistent training got me in the second half of the course.  Specifically in the last 5 miles.  I ran slow, very slow splits in miles 24 and 25. The rebounded to run a decent 26th. mile. My time at the finish was 3:27:49. Much better than Berlin and good for my 4th. fastest marathon ever. I ran a very consistent race until mile 22 or 23...precisely what I expected. 

I knew I was not ready to beat the 3:09 that I ran last year. But finishing the race in good shape, strong is a big step after spending the past 7 months dealing with injuries. I am very optimistic about my prospects of running good races in the late summer and fall. I haven't done any specific speed workouts since September, 2011... not surprisingly, I noticed that I am lacking speed.  I am moving better than three months ago, but my speed is not sharp. I need to go back to the track and build my speed back.  I also need to do more and faster tempo runs.  Speed and tempo runs are key to run another sub 3:10 marathon... 

So my focus this summer is to stay healthy and work on my speed. I have not committed to any race yet. My idea is to run a few 5 and 10 ks.  Also, I am going to run at least one half marathon in September or October.  If I am healthy, I will do another marathon in late October or early November. In the mean time, I am taking things easy.  Running is at a minimum level now... but I am so looking forward to go back to the track and the roads. 








No comments:

Post a Comment