Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

6 days to Boston

I will run my first Boston marathon in 6 days.   Training for a marathon is not an easy task, it requires lots of discipline and determination.  But it also requires a body that can take the pounding almost everyday.  My body hasn't been 100% since I ran in Berlin.  I have struggled with injuries for more than six months. So my training for Boston hasn't been as consistent as it usually is.  Going into Boston I know that I am coming back, but I am not 100% yet.   The muscles in my hips and core are stronger and I am working on correcting all the imbalances created by the injuries.  One week before running in Berlin I knew (but didn't want to admit) that my body was breaking down. With less that a week to go to Boston I feel that my body and my running are going back to where they were a year or two ago. I am running better and stronger than seven months ago, my legs are bouncing happily again, and I am not experiencing as much pain as two or three months ago.  My workouts are more consistent and I can feel that my running form is more efficient.  Yet I am lacking a bit of speed and most probably stamina for the last 6 or 7 miles of the race

I am going to run in Boston because every serious runner dreams about running in Hopkinton, Heart Break Hill and Boylston Ave. at least once.  I am not the exception.  I have trained really hard in the past three years for this moment.  It is not about the last six months, it's about a goal that I set long time ago.  I am going to run, but I am not going to make the same mistake that I made in Berlin. This time my body and not my mind is going to do the running. I will go as fast or as slow as my legs want to go.  I want to feel good an recover the confidence in my running.  I know that if I run an intelligent race I can run much better than in my last marathon. My body is coming back and that could mean great running in the next months and big PRs.  This time I am not looking at one marathon at a time, I am looking at the big picture... and the big picture is a sub 3 hr marathon in the fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment