Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Starting fresh

I am slowly resuming training. I spent the past four weeks enjoying life and recovering from the Eugene marathon. Experience tells me that my best training cycles often follow good recovery periods.  I had a great race in Eugene and my legs felt good after the marathon. They were ready to resume training two weeks ago, but I decided to extend the recovery period 2 more weeks.  During this period, I went to Mexico and didn't run at all for 6 days in a row.  I expected to struggle with this decision, but I didn't miss running during these days.  Running is an important part of my life, and I know that if I want to enjoy it for many years to come I need to balance hard training with good rest.

I am ready to resume training.  The Berlin marathon is in 17 weeks, and I am already logging base miles for this race.  The weather in New Orleans is very hot and humid, but I am adapting well to these conditions.  I am going to make three adjustments to my training plan. First, I am going to peak three times before Berlin. The peaks this time will be at 65, 72, and 77 miles per week.  I need to do more miles if I want to maintain a 6:50 pace the whole race. Second, my tempo and marathon pace runs will be faster.  I realized in Eugene that I can actually go faster not only in the race, but also in my training sessions.  So I am going to try it.  Finally, I am going to join a running group for my speed sessions and long runs (ideally).  I love running by myself, but the group helps me to maintain my focus and push the pace.  I hope to find a training group soon.

I am going to update my blog more often, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment